The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission recently announced that it has purchased two downtown Matthews properties to preserve as historic icons, both at 131 W. Charles St.
The Craftsman-style Phillips House was built in 1925 by O. L. “Pete” Phillips for his wife, Beulah, and their two children, Margaret and Mary Louise. Pete Phillips was the postmaster of Matthews. Margaret was a school teacher, and Mary Louise oversaw the local history room at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Library.
The Morris Barn is the only “town barn” remaining in Mecklenburg County.
The Historic Landmarks Commission is an agency of Mecklenburg County and is dedicated to preserving historic buildings.The commission uses a revolving fund to buy and save properties. All purchases are eventually sold with the assurance that historic properties remain on the tax rolls. Preservation covenants will be placed in the deed when the Philips House and Morris Barn are sold. The proceeds from the sale will be returned to the commission’s revolving fund for future purchases.