By Hillary Meachum
It’s that time of year again! Are you afraid that your electric bill will be high with the dropping temperatures? Have you checked your home to make sure you are prepared for the colder weather? With the temperatures potentially dropping below freezing and the summer months becoming more distant, it is important to winterize your home now in order to avoid costly mistakes later. Here are a few tips that will help you prepare your home for the winter months, saving energy – and money – each month!
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are free of debris.
- Insulate exposed plumbing.
- Consider a fresh coat of paint or sealer on your deck.
- On a windy day, check your windows for any air leaks and seal with rope caulk.
- Install weather stripping on the sides or bottoms of any leaky doors.
- Remove leaves or debris from your air conditioner’s condensing unit.
- Inspect your roof and replace/repair any damaged shingles.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
- If you have not had your fireplace chimney cleaned in a few years, hire a professional chimney sweep to inspect and clean. (This is a busy time of year for them so plan sooner rather than later!)
All of the items on the above list are important in order to steer clear of those dreaded repairs that homeowners can face. If you take care of your home, your home will take care of you! From painting to punch lists to full-on remodels, I have a list of experienced professionals who are able to help you all year long! Feel free to contact me and I will get you connected with one of our great vendor partners. And, as always, stay warm!
To get in touch with Hillary, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hillary Meachum is a part of the Elite Home Experts team at the Ballantyne-Area Keller Williams. She ranks in the Top 20% and is serving her third year as a committee chair for the Associate Leadership Council in her market center. She is a founding member and chapter officer for the local Keller Williams Young Professionals – Charlotte Metro chapter, loves creating new relationships, and learning about new technology in the real estate industry. In her free time, she loves traveling, exploring new parts of town, and spending time with her husband and baby girl!