Historic Charlotte presented preservation awards to several local residential and commercial properties at its 14th Annual Blast for the Past event at Oct. 15 at the Charlotte Museum of History.
Winning projects were based on several factors, including the property’s historical architectural significance, its integration with its surroundings, the historical preservation of the structure, and the complexity of the project.
A panel of independent judges selected three commercial preservation award winners and two residential preservation award winners. In addition, Historic Charlotte’s board of directors selected The Charlotte Hornets for a cultural preservation award in recognition of bringing the brand back to Charlotte.
The winners are:
*Residential Preservation Excellence Award: Historic Albro House: Margy and Walt Pettit, owners; ALB Architecture, architect; Bruce Clodfelter & Associates, landscape architect; Rorick Construction, builder. The Queens Road home, built in 1926, is a Tudor-style structure honored for preserving its original details, including beadboard ceilings and terrazzo floors.
*Residential Preservation Honorable Mention: Pineville Mill House: Thomas E. White, owner; John Shurley, Historic Landmarks Commission (HLC) chair; Dan Morrill, HLC director; Joe Elliott and Thomas E. White, architects. The house was built in 1911. Located at 409 E. Park Ave., it is consistent with many other Southern textile village homes.
*Commercial/Public Preservation Excellence Award: George E. Davis House, Foster Village Network Center, Johnson C. Smith University: Ron Carter, president, Johnson C. Smith University; John Shurley, HLC chair; Dan Morrill, HLC director; Andrew Roby, builder. The house, built in 1890, is on the campus of Johnson C. Smith University. Dr. George E. Davis (1862-1959), a graduate of Biddle Institute (now Johnson C. Smith University) and Howard University, was a figure of seminal importance in the history of black education in Charlotte-Mecklenburg and North Carolina.
*Commercial/Public Preservation Honorable Mention: G.G. Galloway House: Sodoma Law P.C. and Doma Vida Capital LLC, Ron and Nicole Sodoma, owners. Built in 1915, the house is on Morehead Street and is occupied by a law firm, and 10 Park Lanes: Mike Scornavacchi, Patric Zimmer and Adam Williams, owners. The bowling alley was built in 1960. The 35,000-square-foot renovation managed to preserve one of the few examples of googie-style architecture in Charlotte.
Historic Charlotte supports and coordinates historical activities and heritage groups throughout the region.