CORNELIUS — In a last-minute move, developer Jake Palillo of Cornelius late last week pulled his unusual — and controversial — multifamily Bailey Forest plan from Monday night’s town Board of Commissioners meeting, where it was widely expected to fail.
On Monday, Palillo said he would resubmit the plan to subdivide 62 forested acres on Bailey and Barnhardt roads into 33 single-family lots of about 1.5 to 2 acres apiece.
His earlier plan called for 22 lots and up to 88 residential units on the acreage, which is now for sale as 5- to 10-acre “estate lots” meant for large homes. The area is now zoned rural preservation, which limits development to one home per 5 acres.
Palillo said conversations with Cornelius officials have led him to believe his new proposal will be approved in the town’s rezoning process, which Palillo said the project would have to go through all over again.
Tony Brown can be reached at [email protected], (704) 247-2912 or on Twitter at @tonymecktimes.