Harris Teeter plans win zoning committee OK
Published: July 29, 2011
Time posted: 10:41 am
Tags: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission, Harris Teeter
Plans for a new Harris Teeter at The Plaza and Central Avenue have received the go-ahead from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission’s zoning committee.
On Wednesday, the committee recommended approval of the rezoning request of 3.2 acres from business district (B-2 Ped) to an optional zoning business district (B-2 Ped-Optional). The Charlotte City Council is expected to vote on the rezoning request in September.
Developers plan to replace the existing 29,736-square-foot grocery store with a new store that is not to exceed 51,000 square feet.
If approved, the new store would not exceed 60 feet in height and would include a “green” roof and an outdoor seating section.
The zoning committee also recommend rezoning approval for:
• a new dental facility at Idlewild Road between East W.T. Harris Boulevard and Lymont Drive. The request made by New Hope Baptist Church seeks to change the zoning of 1.66 acres from single-family residential (R-4) to institutional and allow for a dental outreach from the church.
• The construction of six attached townhomes with porches and patios at the northwest corner of Pegram and 18th streets. The United House of Prayer wants to change the zoning from single-family residential (R-5) to urban residential conditional (UR-2 CD).
• A new skilled-nursing facility with 120 beds and 168 senior independent living units on 17.48 acres at Providence Road West between Community House Road and Old Ardrey Kell Road. The request from Liberty Healthcare Properties of Mecklenburg County LLC seeks to change the zoning from mixed-use residential (MX-2) to institutional conditional.
• The construction of an Auto Bell carwash at 1.82 acres at Park Road, Tyvola Road and Fairview Road. The request from CAH Holdings Inc. seeks to change the zoning from multifamily residential (R-22MF) to business district (B-2 CD).
• The development of a 275-unit multifamily residential development on 10.63 acres on Perimeter Parkway between West W.T. Harris Boulevard and Perimeter Woods Drive. WP East Development Enterprises LLC wants to change the zoning from commercial center (CC) to urban residential conditional (UR-2 CD).
• The construction of 240 elderly dwelling units, 13 disabled dwelling units, a 25,000-square-foot adult care center and a 100-seat chapel. The Catholic Diocese of Charlotte Housing Corp. wants to change the zoning of 20 acres on South Tryon Street across from Savannah Club Drive from residential (R-3 and R-12 CD) to institutional.
• The zoning committee also deferred a request from The Bissell Cos. to change the zoning of 520 acres between Interstate 85, Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Rushmore Street and North Community House road from residential (R-3) and business park conditional (BP CD) to BP CD with office (O-3 CD) and business park conditional site plan amendment (BP CD SPA) until a special meeting at 5 p.m. Sept. 6.
• Another rezoning request from Louis Ratcliffe Inc. was deferred until the Sept. 6 meeting. That request would change the zoning of 3.23 acres at West Sugar Creek Road, North Graham Street and Mineral Springs Road from a business district (B-2) to a mixed-use development district (MUDD-O).
Tara Ramsey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.